Call me an American Dissident. I believe in democracy and government of, FOR, and BY the PEOPLE. I do NOT believe in the plutocratic corpocracy this country is today, wherein government is made and administered of the wealthy, by the wealthy, and for the wealthy. I believe in wealth which is HONESTLY attained through hard work and merit. I do NOT believe in wealth attained by means of deceit, exploitation, or leverage. There is enough for all in this world. Greed is the major cause of poverty, and both are totally unnecessary.
Thomas R. Marshall, Vice President under President Woodrow Wilson, was a colorful and witty man, slightly irreverent at times. Once, while presiding over the Senate, a Kansas Republican Senator by the name of Joseph L. Bristow was babbling on and on (as Senators often do) about a long list of things he felt the country needed at that moment. As Bristow droned on, Vice President Marshall leaned over to some nearby law clerks and said, in a voice just loud enough to carry across the Senate floor, "what this country needs is a really good five cent cigar," which caused the chamber to erupt into laughter. I'm not sure if Marshall or Bristow ever got all they wanted back then, but I do know there are a number of things this country sorely needs today, and I have listed a good many of them below.
* MILLIONS OF GOOD-PAYING NEW JOBS HERE TO REPLACE THE MILLIONS OF GOOD-PAYING JOBS WHICH WERE SHIPPED OVERSEAS OVER THE PAST 10 YEARS? *
A really good $15 box seat at a Major League Baseball game, and a big, delicious $2 hot dog once you're there (instead of the 3-5 times that price we're paying now)?
* Sarah Palin to get a new, better-looking hairstyle and go, along with her entire family, into a deep freeze?
* ALL OUR MEN AND WOMEN TO COME HOME FROM IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN?
* Saltine crackers that can be snapped, like they used to be able to be, without crumbling into fragments the moment you pick them up?
* COMPLETE HEALTH CARE COVERAGE FOR ALL CITIZENS AT A RATE THAT DOESN'T BANKRUPT THEM?
* The rich to get poorer, and the poor and middle class to get richer?
* Fox "News" to go out of business and off the air (or at least to stop distorting and exaggerating, and start telling the truth)?
* Gas at $2 per gallon where it belongs, and no higher?
* Al Qaeda, fundamentalist Muslims, and fundamentalist Christians to crawl out of the Dark Ages and into this 21st Century?
* Corporations to stop buying out individual Congresspersons?
* Republicans to grow a heart and stop thinking only of themselves and big business?
* Hour-long TV shows with only 10 minutes commercial time per hour (like it was many years ago)?
* DICK CHENEY GOING ON TRIAL FOR WAR CRIMES?
* An outstandingly tender and delicious $20 steak dinner with mashed potatoes, gravy, and veggie or salad (and I'm not talking dried-out surloin, either!)?
* Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, and Glenn Beck all getting permanent laryngitis?
* Automobiles routinely averaging at least 50 mpg highway and 35 mpg city (and I'm not talking about little lightweight tin cans, either!)?
* An outstanding $2 bottle of beer?
I'm sure all the rest of you can mimic old Senator Bristow and come up with a number of other suggestions as to what this country needs right now. How about it, readers?